PE at Middlestone Moor Primary School
Physical education provides pupils with the opportunity to be creative, competitive and face up to different challenges as individuals and in groups and teams. It promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy and active lifestyle. Pupils learn how to think in different ways and make decisions in response to challenges. They learn how to reflect on their performance, plan, perform and evaluate actions, ideas and performance to improve the quality of their work.
Physical education helps pupils to develop personally and socially. They work as individuals, in groups and in teams, developing concepts of fairness and of personal and social responsibility. They take on different roles and responsibilities, including leadership, officiating and coaching.
- At Middlestone Moor Primary School we aim to ensure:
- All pupils have access to high quality PE lessons to develop their movement, fitness, health and well being
- Pupils have the opportunity to participate in PE beyond the curriculum
- Links are made between physical education and in class learning to help children understand and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- We provide coaching from local clubs forging links
- Children have the opportunity to participate in festivals and competitions • Children enjoy sport and physical activity
- Children understand the rules and skills for a range of sports and can swim at least 25 metres by the end of Year 6
High Quality PE
We have a wide range of sporting activities at Middlestone Moor Primary School to enhance and enrich our PE curriculum.
- All pupils have PE lessons in school. These cover gymnastics, dance, outdoor adventurous activities, games, athletics and swimming
- Swimming takes place in Key Stage 2. Pupils in Years 3 and 4 swim for most of the year with catch up lessons for Year 6 in the Summer term
- Year 6 attend a one week residential where they undertake team building and outdoor adventurous activities
- After school clubs run throughout the year offering a range of sporting activities
- Additional coaching takes place through our SLA with Sedgefield School Sports Partnership includes dance, gymnastics, athletics, basketball, judo, netball and cricket
- A movement programme runs daily to enhance early movement and support pupils with movement difficulties
- Children participate in Cross Country events in the local area
- Children participate in a Football league
Pupils are expected to change into their PE kit for lessons. All jewellery including ear rings should be removed for safety reasons. School PE kits are available on uniform order sheets.
For indoor PE Shorts and t- shirt, plimsolls/gym shoes or bare feet
For outdoor PE Shorts and t-shirt, Track suit top (optional), plimsolls or trainers (must be a change from normal day wear)
At Middlestone Moor Primary School, children attend swimming lessons in Years 3, 4, 5 and 6.
Schools are now expected to share how many children leave primary school able to swim a distance of 25m in two strokes and perform a self-rescue.
In 2018/2019, 81% of our Year 6 children were able to swim the required distance in one stroke.
In 2018/2019, 81% of our Year 6 children were able to swim the required distance in two strokes.
In 2018/2019, 92% of our Year 6 children could perform a safe self – rescue in different water based situations.
A breakdown of our Sports Premium spending will be available on the website shortly. Should you wish to download a copy of the Sports Premium, please select the article below.
Primary Physical Education and Sport Premium Spending 2019-2020
Primary Physical Education and Sport Premium Spending 2018-2019
Primary Physical Education and Sport Premium Spending 2017-2018
Primary Physical Education and Sport Premium Spending 2016-2017
Primary Physical Education and Sport Premium Spending 2015-2016
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.